Thursday, April 26, 2012

Partial translation to the documentary about novak family

 Here's the video (in Serbian)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NdYmby7KHI&feature=player_embedded


and here's the translation, thanks to Billie K, to the first 3 parts (first 17 mins):


Part 1: From the beginning (the beginning of a sentence is missing)

Dijana Djokovic:

During my grade school education, my father being a military person, moved to Nis (Serbia)
so we lived in Nis for 4 years. At the end, we came back where our roots were. So I
was able to finish grade school and high school in Belgrade after which I enrolled in
a Faculty of Physical Education, which unfortunately I was not able to finish, I had very
few exams left. But I think that I graduated from something else important, the school of life,
I am proud of that and don't complain for not having a degree in the University.
My father has loved sports and played it, even now, although he is getting old.
They always encouraged us towards a healthy life and healthy thinking, of course both
sport and school had to be the top priorities, we had to be good students.

Maja Jovanovic (Dijana's friend):

I think that she had very good upbringing. In order to remain grounded despite all the success
that they've had, you have to have good family values and qualities. They are the kind of
people who can give Nole a bit of criticism and haven't changed the relationship towards him.

Nole with his maternal grandfather:
Deda sends me the best messages: You were not at your best today in a match, it needs to be
better tomorrow. It is best that you forget this match. - That is right, djedo.

Dijana:

We are all infected with tennis, it is in our blood now, not just me, but my mom, who is unbelievable in
gathering all the statistics. I often say that we can find her a job in ATP. She is
better than them. She knows who Nole played against last year, who he beat, who beat him, very precise in this.

Nole:

Baka (grandmom), come over here bako, baka makes the best cabbage in the world. Bako
are you proud of me? I am not. You are not? I am just super proud of you. Oh, OK, super:-)

Maja Jovanovic:

I think that Novak jokingly once said that he calls his Baka before his matches, and asks her
what the other guys' weakness is, so that he can attack it.

Dijana:

My husband comes from a sport loving family, everybody skied, he, his brother and their sister,
also soccer. I also played volleyball and skiing was my love as well. I was saving every
penny I could, just so I could go to Kopaonik mountain for 1 day or a weekend of skiing.
There is definately genetical reason for our kids to go into sport since both of our
families played and loved sport, so it was only natural for them to start playing any sport.
It was mainly skiing at the beginning.

Nole:

Kopaonik is the mountain where everything started for us. My mom met my father, her husband there,
he was very sneaky, my father. He was a skiing instructor so that is how he met her
he took advantage of his position, and later married her.

Dijana:

Kopaonik is where I met my husband on the slopes in 1986. It was a destiny. You never
know what can happen in life, but once you are in a marriage, that is it. We didn't date
for very long, we married at the end of the year.

Srdjan:

My mother passed away a few years ago, but she was the one who instilled the love
for the family, kids, showed me the family values and I tought my kids those values.
In my wife, I saw my mother, so there might be another reason why I married her.

Reporter:

Well, you must have fallen in love on the slopes when you saw her?

Srdjan:

Of course I fell in love with her on the slopes, but I didn't marry her immediately on
the slopes. I had to be very sure about the values as well before I could marry her (smiling).


Part 2: The next segment is a continuation of video, Billie didn't skip anything:

Jelena Djokovic Ninkovic - Srdjan Djokovic's sister:


I used to tell to my mother: Why didn't you give me a sister? Two older brothers, it
is too difficult for me, and then Dijana came into our life. We really bonded really
beautifully and that has lasted till now.

Nole's mom:

Then we opened a little restaurant on Kopaonik, "Red Bull", which was open for
business for some 20 years. We had some help from my mother, his family, our brothers and
sisters, just very close family members. But that is it, that is our circle.

Nole's aunt:

There was a lot of work there. We worked hard even when we were pregnant, I remember I
used to drive an old car with a big wheel, the wheel was pushing my big stomack. I mean
we did all kinds of things, but when I think about it now, nothing was too difficult,
it was all good.

Marko:

I can say that such childhood will not be replaced by anything. I can say that money
cannot buy you happiness and joy. We lived in the middle of a beautiful mountain, there
was always lots of kids to play with, we were careless as if nothing was going on in
our country. I wasn't so much familiar with Belgrade as I was with Kopaonik. It was
always my home.

Nole:

Kopaonik is the place where I made my first tennis steps, as well as my brothers. So that
mountain has a very big meaning for our careers and lives.

Nole's aunt:

There were some beautiful but also tough moments. All in all it was very nice, we were
all happy, safisfied, normal.

Nole's mom:

Sometimes I had to tell the kids : Sit here, I have to work. Go play with other kids, ski, I
have to work. Many times I couldn't go skiing with them, my middle son says: Mom, you
never skied with me. I did later, but I guess at that time I couldn't go skiing with them because they
were there when the school was over, the time when I was the busiest.

Marko:

There are some of our photos that make me cry when I see them. I can't believe how
fast the time has passed. How we were able to achieve all this. Really time flies.

Djorde:

I was spending 10 months out of a year up until I was 7 on Kopaonik. We skied
in the winter, during summer we had little cars. We played a lot. I don't remember any
bad thing from that time.

Mom:

The kids grew up in the restaurant. They were sleeping in strollers, the customers used
to tell me when one of them wakes up. They were lifting Nole up when he woke up, and he
rarely cried, he just used to look up from a stroller like a turtle, they would lift
him up and bring to me. They spend a lot of time outside in the snow, I had to change
their clothes several times in a day, with all my work in the restaurant. I used to
work 15-16 hours a day, from the opening in the morning till midnight - 1 am.
I enjoyed it. It wasn't as if I had to do it, not, I enjoyed doing that. Making pizzas,
crepes, serving at the bar, serving customers, my kids played in the bar, they did
dishes, made cappuccinos, Djole made the best cappucino that I ever had and he was some
6,7,8 years old.

Nole's aunt:

While they were away on Kopaonik, Nole spent a lot of time with me. He was 7, started
school, he was with me and grandpa. I remember once he had a test in school and we
studied some 2 days before it. I asked him: Nole, did you learn everything? yes, I did
don't you worry about it. The question was: How do you call a young goat? (There is a
play with words, so really can't translate this part - anyway Nole had his own name for
a young of goat) What are the wild animals? Wild animals are pert (that is the best I could
come up with, sorry).

The scene when Nole is on the tennis court, around 10:23, with the instructor:

That's it Nole, now you hit it, bravo, Nole here is my hand, let's shake (Nole is so
cute here).


3rd part, from 10:34

Mom:

It was pure luck and destiny that around 1990 or 1991 they built several tennis courts close to our restaurant. Novak was interested in what the workers were doing, he was watching them, helped them, brought beer to them, played with them. When they built the courts, the first tennis camp was opened when he was 4 years old. He expressed his desire to try tennis.

Father:

Our whole family sacrificed a lot for his sport, it is really not a sport, but a living.

Nole:

They really did everything they could to allow me to pursue my desire to play tennis. I had great aspirations of becoming #1 in the world. And I was ready to do whatever I need to and to dedicate myself 100% to achieve that.

Nole with other kid in a TV show:

Well, I play at night since I have school and tennis practices during day and after I do my homework, I play at night. (the other kid asks: Is tennis for you play or obligation? Nole: Tennis is an obligation for me. Q: What is your goal in tennis? N: My goal is to be #1 in the world.

Father:

We never lived poorly, but we had a business that was not enough for his needs.
We had to cope with it the best way we could.

Nole (about his parents):


They are very compatible couple. Father was the one carrying the family on his shoulders, he didn't show to us the bad situation we were in, not only our family but the whole country and rough times we were going through during the war.

Father:

We didn't talk about bad times as it would only make us feel worse. I couldn't sleep well for a long time so I used to walk a lot, I tried to provide for us in any way I could, tried to pay back our debts.

Mom:

We rented for 17 years. There were situations where Novak had to go away, there was no money. They would promise the financial help and then they would call the night before the trip to say that they can't help. We used to borrow money with high interest, 10-12% a month. But we had to find money because he had to develop.

Nole (talking about his mom):

No matter what the situation is, no matter how much somebody hurt her, she will always shake that off and raise her head up high and continue going forward - that is her strength.

Mom:

I remember a situation when Novak had to go to Paris with his father, I think for junior Roland Garros. His father borrowed the money for the trip and left me with 2 young children without any means that is I don't have any money to even buy my kids some bread tomorrow. That was April/May, I packed my youngest, Djole, and went to Kopaonik to make some money even though it was not really a full tourist season; there were excursions, seminars, but I wanted to earn any money I could. Even if it was $15, it was enough for me to buy some food to my child.

Djordje:

They always made us believe that they can afford everything to us. And I don't remember anything bad from my childhood. I have only best memories from that time.

Marko:

With everything she went through, she's become stronger and more beautiful, I have to commend her. Mother is very strong and brave woman. She is very emotional, there are not a lot of people, man or a woman, that would withstand what she did. You have to be mentally strong.

Mom:

That was the only way for me, to be strong. After a while, when things settled down a bit, it all finally cought up with me, I became ill, had an operation, but I don't want to get into details.

Maja:

When I think about how hard she worked, how much she sacrificed for the family, how much turmoil she went through, to live up to see her child achieve what he did, it kind of evens things out and makes up for the hard times.

Mom:


Everything was a risk. Nobody could say with certainty that he would be this successful. Nobody could have claimed that, there was a possibility, there was talent, hard work, there was hope, but nothing with certainty. All the pieces of the puzzle needed to fall into right places. Our family, especially my husband, had a vision that Nole would be #1, he had that dream and a picture in his head that Novak would succeed. Many didn't believe him. Today they are patting him on his back saying: We knew it would happen, but they didn't. Nobody believed, I can confirm that, nobody believed in him except us.

Nole on a tennis court with the instructor:


Bravo Nole, you are going to be a champion. That's it.

Maja:

I remember Srdjan talking about Nole being #1 in the world and Dijana of course backed him up. To say something like that in the 90s in this country, it was really crazy and impossible dream, in a country with almost no tennis tradition. They needed a huge amount of bravery for such a vision. That vision was as crazy as somebody saying that in 5 years somebody from Belgrade will become the president of the USA.

Nole again on tennis court:

That's it Nole, let's do it one more time. Now forehand, come on. That's it.



P.S. If and when Billie translates more parts I'll post it here :)

No comments: