Monday, March 26, 2012

Ranking the tennis commentators & journalists

Hello everyone, 

Today I'd like to share with you my views about the different tennis commentators and journalists I come across often as a rabid tennis fan and grade them. You might not know who half these people are because we come from different countries and thus watch tennis on different channels on TV but I still hope you find it interesting and know at least some of these guys so it's not lost on you :)


Introduction

As an Israeli, I can watch all the slams (except Wimbledon) live only on Eurosport and so I can only really judge its commentators and not other commentators like those on ESPN's (although I have heard a couple of their broadcasts that I downloaded from YouTube - USO 2011 semis and finals). So, if you're not European and don't have the channel you probably have no idea who these people are and have no reason to believe me and take my word about them…But you Europeans who listen to them too will probably agree with me regarding most of them. OK, moving to the Masters 1000 events and other small tournaments (ATP 250 & 500); I watch their broadcasts on the net via livestreams cause I'm not willing to pay the Israeli sport channel money for its unprofessional and biased broadcasts (they HATE Nole and LOVE Federer) and I could tell you stories about some commentators there and stuff they said about our Nole but I won't, you're better off for not knowing and getting upset, trust me on this. Anyway, I watch via livestream and I usually find links to broadcasts of TTC's commentators so I have an opinion about each one of them too. I know many have that channel so you might know them too.  The women's tournaments I can watch on Eurosport and Eurosport 2 btw. Finally, the journalists I read on a regular basis are those on the ESPN and Eurosport websites.

List of commentators

Eurosport


Simon reed - From what I can remember, I never had any problem with his commentary but I also don't really remember anything interesting he said so... C+

Anabel croft - A bit annoying, it seems she has no original thoughts and only repeats things she heard others say. C

Joe Durie - I thinks she's pretty OK, she knows what she's talking about listening to her could be boring or even tedious at times. B-

David Mercer - I like listening to him. First off, there's a nice tune to his voice so that a big plus. Secondly, he doesn't talk too much like his (usual) partner in crime Durie. And finally, he says smarts things most of the time. The only con is that he too can he boring at times. B 

Mats Wilander He is really annoying sometimes with his un-objective predictions and love for Federer and the fact he keeps changing his mind according to what's going on is ridiculous...But he's not boring to listen too, that's for sure so that's why I don't mind listening to him and sometimes I even enjoy it, he makes me laugh and I enjoy gloating when he's wrong with his predictions. B-

Chris bradnam -  I hate listening to him, especially when Nole is playing Federer cause he's so Federated and I can't stand hearing him salivating over every Federer winner and sighing after every missed shot. He's so biased and he's definitely the worst tennis commentator on Eursport, and one of the worst all together. F

Frew McMillan - He's OK and pretty objective (although you sense he loves Federer too) but I still find him a bit annoying for some reason at times... Maybe it's because he let's Bradnam who usually seats alongside him say whatever he wants and thus approve his bias, or maybe it's is stuck-up attitude, or maybe it all comes to the fact that I just know he loves Fed and thus automatically annoys me. But he's the best in Eurosport and I respect his opinions cause the guy knows tennis and know his job and doesn't yammers too much so...B+

TTC (Tennis TV channel)

Sam Gore - He's TTC Chris Bradnam, enough said.  F

Nick Lester and Doug Adler - I heared they're biased towards Federer too but not as bad as Gore but I didn't hear them comment on Federer's matches (or forgot about it) so can't say if I agree. On other matches they were OK but a bit annoying and I sensed they're anti-Nole so I'll grade them based on that. C-
 
Jason goodall and Robbie Koeing - I love them. Really Nice accents, especially Koeing's (love his tune of voice), very knowledgeable and talk business but not much technical stuff and also amuse you with stories and etc. Great to listen to!!! A++
 
List of journalists/bloggers

Eurosport

Simon reed - He already appeared on the commentators list and I gave him C- but he's also got  a blog and as a blogger he's awful, so biased towards Federer and Murray and I can't forget that horrible blog, where he predicted they would swipe all the slams this year...Well, he was wrong as Nole won AO. Take that Reed! F

Mats Wilander - As a blogger he's pretty OK and I like to read his blogs.  

ESPN

Steve Tignor - I love reading his stuff because he has a heart and he's a gifted writer who really moves you and I don't care if he's an expert or not. A+

Peter Bodo - He's Mr. Know It All and he always tries to provoke someone, be it Fed fans, Rafa fans or Nole fans. He's really annoying! But he's not biased or at least doesn't show and he deserves credit for that. C


I would love to hear your thoughts about these commentators & bloggers or other ones you listen to or read. Looking forward to your comments... :)





9 comments:

Billie said...

I like listening to John McEnroe, Brad Gilbert and Darren Cahill. They all know tennis, and sometimes some of them are even funny:-)

moran said...

Thanks for sharing Billie :) I heard good things about them from the American fans on the main-site too and I trust your judgment. Also, from the little I've seen they do seem to know their stuff and about being funny sometimes, I guess I'll have to take your word on it, cause haven't seen it myself.

Anonymous said...

Last year at one point Brad Gilbert said that Nole was sick of being the 3rd fiddle so he decided to become "the chairman of the board" LOL I thought that was funny:-) Cliff Drysdale is old school, but he really loves Nole, he was the only one that picked Nole to win Wimbledon last year.:-)

Billie said...

OOps that previous anonymous is me:-)

oksana said...

I completely agree with all your observations. Eurosport would only benefit from removing Chris Bradnam from its team. He steps on my nerves, ruins the pleasure of enjoying this beautiful sport.

Lazio said...

Frew McMillan makes quite often little predictions during the match which turn to be wrong and i ofen feel his comments are somehow prejudiced, as if he fancies one of the players. besides all this, his voice and tone seem to me to be the epitome of condescendence. first time i heard him, i asked myself 'is he a lord?' the two of them are the curse of tennis broadcasting. to think they take the place of willander and mcenroe, makes me frew up....

Lazio said...

as for the Serbinator, ie the blogger, im surprised he's given such high rating for Frew, especially considering that Frew hardly ever said anything great about Novak. he's rasping dry, at best. if im not mistaken, he called him 'the serial winner' couple of years ago already when he beat Andy in two sets in Miami in the QF, implying he's not really a champion or a great player, but just a winocholic or suchlike.please let me know if im wrong... would love to be.

yardbirds world said...

Have missed so many great tennis matches on British Eurosport..because of commentator Chris Bradnam ...as soon as I hear his voice its a panic to find the remote...and switch over to anything on the box.He is so boring....and says same dumb things all the time....."do you like her outfit??"...or "Fabulous"...etc et...then there is his silly false laugh....yuk....Bad enough having any commentators telling me what I just watched....let alone someone as annoying as Bradnam.You would think this is just a chat show....showing footage of tennis...almost in error. How tv tennis would truly benefit minus the inclusion of Mr.Bradnam.

Lazio said...

Bradnan's favourite comments: oh, he just missed! AND 'oh, it's in!' DOES HE DO RADIO BRAODCAST AT THE SAME TIME AS TV?